I have a great interest in illustration and I am always looking for inspiration and new ideas and techniques that I could try and integrate in to my designs, looking at some of these illustrations you can see what makes them, whether it be blurring shapes, adding a light source or using photos in your illustrations it all has an effect on the final piece.
This collection is mixture of more traditional illustration to photography and illustration, when I look at illustrations like this I always think about how there made, such as paint splatters did the designer take a can of spray scan it in and manipulate it, stuff like that can add a whole new dimension to the illustration.
Take a look at this web site to see some beautiful designs Cool Showcase.
I have added some of the more well known illustrators in to the list to show there work with other not so well know illustrators…its all good and there all very talented.
Designer and Illustrator from Mexico City who likes animate as well and enjoy whatever looks good with the right colours, this artist produces almost mural like illustrations with made up characters and deep colours, and not forgetting the depth of focus blurry backgrounds.
Illustrator and Graphic Designer from Italy, Mostly uses images as the base of his illustrations adding his own unique effect to each and creating vivid imagery.
Ars Thanea is creative agency focused on new technologies, creation and design. They like to use a lot of Photoshop effects in there illustrations, these effects add a clean fresh feel there designs.
Russ an illustrator, painter and designer illustrations with paint effects adding a true abstract take on illustration as well as on canvas prints adding to the whole grunge experience of this designer.
Dan Mumford is a freelance illustrator/designer/screen printer working out of his studio in central London, probably one of the more well know illustrators his designs use vivid colours and deep lines, skulls, bones and evil is where its at.
The diverse work of Evgeny Kiselev oscillates between the rigors of symmetry and prolific excess. Several compositions begin with vivid tiled patterns that are mirrored again and again until they can no longer be contained and are forced to push beyond the confines of their logic. Others emerge from a single outline that manifests the controlled lawlessness of the work. Each piece achieves a complexity of colour and layer that continues to build infinitely into the space of the page creating a warping spatial depth.
Matthew Woodson was born and raised in rural southern Indiana. He graduated from The School of The Art Institute of Chicago in early 2006. His designs mostly revolve around people and quite often have a hidden message to get across to the viewer as well as emotion.
Hydro74 is a full time design studio that helps and aids various companies in the progressive market. Another well know illustrator shield type designs that are in your face, skulls, bones, zombies dark brush strokes and vivid colours.
Graduated in Graphic Design at University of Sao Paulo, Brazil in 2001 and has 8 years of working experience in illustration, web and interactive media, packaging design and abstract illustration with a grunge feel.
From Lisbon, Portugal illustrator and web designer. Shiny illustrations and pastel colours that almost blend together make this illustrator unique.
From Sacremento, California Illustrator and designer his life has revolved around drawing. solid colours and straight lines add interest to his illustrations.
Other Blog illustration collections
So you want to see more illustrations well check out some of the other collections that people have made
- 17 digital images you’ve probably never seen before
- Illustration learn by example
- Where photography meets illustration
- Dark illustration and inspiration
- Illustrated typography on dark backgrounds
Interesting reading material and Tutorials
What to know more or brush up on some skills to help create amazing illustrations check out some of the resources below
- How to set-up your Wacom for awesome results.
- 7 steps to developing originality in your design and illustration
- Great drawing tutorial sites
- maintaining rhythm and flow in vector character design
- 60 illustrator tutorials and best practices.
- 30 tutorials that will teach you illustrator
- 25 amazing photoshop drawing tutorials
Computer arts magazine illustration tutorials
Computer arts magazine is one of the best sources for keeping up to date with skills check out some of there useful tutorials>
- Anatomy illustrated – The essential concepts of medical illustration. The fundamentals of digital pen and ink techniques in Illustrator
- Draw a fantasy figure – Melissa Somerville uses drawing and inking techniques in Photoshop to create an enchanting anime-style fairy
- Colour your fantasy figures – Refine your Photoshop tool skills to colour your characters and situate them in magical fantasy environments
- Combining photography with hand-rendering – Create richer images by blending drawing, painting and fashion photography. Alexis West describes some invaluable techniques
- Create Striking Portraits
- Expressive lighting effects – Lighting effects are an effective way to add a detailed illustrative touch to a photo. Justin Maller demonstrates how to go about combining several lighting techniques
- Vivid colour effects – Photoshop wizard Jort Braam combines abstract images with black and white photography, using gradients, blurs and Blending Modes to create a stunning composited image that’s bursting with colour and movement
- The secrets of illustration – This month, 3D World’s panel of experts provides tips to help you produce 3D illustrations quicker and more flexibly: from the use of stock assets to vital Photoshop tricks
Off Topic – Design Competitions and Prizes
There are a few interesting things happening with in the design blogging community so why not show your support by checking some of them out.